Wednesday, December 7, 2011

What is a Learner?


If we’re going to talk about Learners driving their education, we really should decide what a Learner is.
At the very heart of learning, what is a learner and what are their basic motivations?
In order to answer that, the first questions that came to my mind were:
~       Are our children always learners?
~       Are our students always learners?
~       Is it even possible to define what a learner is without also defining how learners learn?

Next I wondered: Is a Learner basically someone
~       with a goal?
~       with curiosity?
~       with a pressing need?
Can you be a Learner without any of those?

For today, let’s define a Learner as 
someone who is actively looking for something.
If that’s the case, what are they looking for?

I would suggest that 
a Learner is basically looking for the means to
~       reach a goal
~       fill a need
~       recreate
What is your definition of a Learner and what is their basic reasons for Learning?

~vbb

2 comments:

  1. The idea of learner driven education has always appealed to me but the more we homeschool the further we get from LDE. I feel like LDE isn't structured enough for me and I'm floundering around not knowing what the heck to do. I will be reading your blog and hopefully find more ways to incorporate this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN! The main reason I started this blog is so that I could understand it better myself. Glad to have you along. Keep reading!!

    ReplyDelete